Robert Komjathy of Brighton, Michigan, submitted this roof project he did with a Square Wave TIG 175. Here's what he had to say:
We had a wooden roof over some fuel tanks at our privately owned airport for almost 20 years. It was a design taken from the Brighton Fire Department - it was a structure they used to protect their tanks. However, the wooden roof didn't comply with state code, so we had to figure out a way to make the new roof completely out of metal so it would be compliant with state code.
I don't do this type of work for a living ... I am a pharmacist by profession. But having the right tools made the job fun and easier to do! We worked on it during evenings and weekends, and the project took four weeks to complete. I cut the 1/8th wall, 1 inch square tubing to fit in a jig for uniformity, and welded them up with the 175. Friends helped in the final assembly, and a good friend of mine, Dave Sullivan, would come over while I was at work to pre-cut tubes for the jig so that I would have enough time to weld in the evening. I could get 1 to 1-1/2 trusses done per evening.
The metal stanchions were 3-1/2 inch galvanized pipe, a donation from one of our members who drills water wells. I cleaned the ends off with muriatic acid to dissolve the galvanized coating away for a proper weld. These would hold the I-beams in place. The stanchions were bolted through the cement retaining pond wall and make the structure very secure. We have already had 65 mph winds to test the structure with no damage as well as over 60 inches of snow one winter.
Everything was given a pre-coating of a rust inhibiting primer prior to assembly. A final coat of white rustoleum was used for finish and weather proofing.1-1/2 inch angle iron tabs were made to attach to the 4 inch I-beams to lock the trusses down. They were also slotted to a friend's milling machine so that the roof trusses could "breathe" a little due to expansion and contraction with temperature. Everything was assembled with Grade 8 structural bolts. 1/4 inch bolts for the trusses and 3/8ths for the I-beam to stanchions. Hat channel was attached to the trusses and green galvanized painted decking for the roof attached with stainless self-tapping, self-sealing roof screws. The one mistake I made was not setting the top hat channel low enough down the truss to mate with the ridge cap for added strength. I ended up cutting 1-inch electrical conduit into 1-1/2 inch lengths and pre-drilled a hole in the center of the tube. They were attached from the underside of the roof as the cap screw came through. Since only the high points on the decking would meet the ridge cap, these worked out very well to give plenty of meat for the screw to grab tightly without stripping since the roof line could see concentrated wind forces.
*The above project images and descriptions have been published to show how individuals used their ingenuity for their own needs, convenience and enjoyment. Only limited details are available and the projects have NOT been engineered by the Lincoln Electric Company. Therefore, when you use the ideas for projects of your own, you must develop your own details and plans and the safety and performance of your work is your responsibility.